Sunday, January 13, 2008

Some PP (post processing)


Well, I went to do a shoot yesterday with Kylie and Daddy and my battery ran out! I know, I know... I should have a spare, but I don't. So, I fiddled a bit with pp. Here's an image that was overexposed, but it is the best thing I have to work with until hopefully tonight when I am able to shoot Kylie and Daddy!

I'm trying to get a simple workflow down. The first step of that is starting with a properly exposed and very sharp image. I'm still working on getting that consistent. I'm playing with back button focus... it's taking a bit to get used to, but I'm going to keep at it.

Then I did the following after reading a great thread on ILP about workflow. I'm excited that I could get to the point where it is really this simple!

I bumped the midtones up a bit.
Added contrast with a soft light layer (low opacity maybe 30%.. I can't remember.)
I took some of the red out of her face, but now I see on here I could have maybe done more.
I used the Kodak Gem filter to soften her skin.
I did a defog just to play (USM 70/6/2). I have heard to do this in the beginning, but I just tried it at the end here for my sharpening. I'll be playing more with this!
I resized and sharpened for web.

I know it's not a perfect shot, but it's fun to play. Hoping to get some shots of Daddy and daughter tonight!

2 comments:

mindi said...

Looking forward to the daddy/daughter pics - she is lovely!
(I'm from ILP!)

Robyn said...

Thanks for looking Mindi! Yeah, have yet to get them together to do that! Hopefully this weekend!