Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Egads... exposure!


, originally uploaded by mom24treasures.

Well, here's my shot from today. Got one of the boys this time! I'm still overexposed though and can't seem to get it right! I'm learning my camera meter doesn't seem correct as these showed just slightly underexposed in camera according to the histogram and once I got them to PS they were overexposed. Back up to try again tomorrow...

In other news though, I've been playing around with focus and I think I'm getting pretty good with that. Once I nail this exposure I'm going to upload some picts for critique at the photographer's web site I visit. I have more "in focus" shots now than not so I think I'm improving!

This photo has some PP done, but not much. Just took the red cast off his face and sharpened and used the Kodak Gem Filter. I figure now it's my time to figure out this exposure thing... I've gone from always underexposed to always overexposed, so NOW I need to find my balance!

Oh, and I got a call from someone I don't know (friend of a friend) who wants me to shoot her kids in April! Yikes! WOM has started already! I know I'll still be PB (portfolio building) come April so I'm going to offer her my pb deal. I'd rather have people pay less while I'm practicing and feel they "got a deal" than charge a lot for a product that isn't as professional as it could be. I know... will I ever think my work is professional enough... I don't know! :-)

7 comments:

Becky said...

This is a cute shot! Keep working on exposure. It just takes time and patience...and learning the in's and out's of your camera! For example: my camera needs some adjustment as it doesn't always "see" my flash...little problem, don't ya think?! ;) (Yikes!)

mindi said...

I think the shot looks good!
Have you tried shooting RAW? It allows for a little room in error with regards to exposure - especially helpful if you don't have a light meter.
I know I have issues with my in camera meter as well!!

Robyn said...

Thanks ladies! LOL about the camera not seeing the flash Becky! I'm getting more and more comfortable, but it's a big learning curve for me!

Mindi... I actually do have a light meter (just got it) however, even when I use it I still don't get it right. Someone said I maybe need to calibrate my meter, but that seemed way too complicated for me. I have tried RAW, however I am not overly comfortable with it. I will get there eventually... I'm really trying to get it right in camera, but I may be at the point where I'm "close enough" and just need to let it rest! I at least need to go back to being a bit underexposed instead of over I think!

Thank you both for your comments!

kristykh said...

Nice photo! It's very smooth and crisp at the same time. You sound like you're making good progress! I hope to be there before too long.

Robyn said...

Thanks so much for your comment Kristy! I'm getting there, but it really is a long learning process! I'm learning the reality of you don't succeed unless you fail! I'm hoping there will be a time soon when the tides turn and I have more success than failure! LOL!

Jill said...

I think it looks great :)

Jill

Robyn said...

Thanks Jill!